Monday, December 18, 2006

Food in Delaware

Its strange how you crave for home made food in a foreign land. This is my third trip to America in a span of a year, and after about a week or so I start craving for the spicy eastern flavours of my country.
I love granola, so breakfast is pretty much taken care of. But this time the local Pathmark only had granola with raisins and I hate raisins! So tried toasted honey and nut Cheerios. Like the taste but hardly find them filling, so went back after a week to see if they had any new granola flavors. This time, they ahd a banana and nuts, but its tastes too much like a banana gone sour.
Mexican and Pakistani cuisine comes close, but are not available too readily, not all hotels have kitchens, and preserved ready-to-eat food tastes like chemical curry.
Lunch is whatever the office cafeteria has. Currently, it alternates between pizza, chicken steak and lo-mein in schezwan sauce, but I have had some disasters there too.
So, I currently do what most Indians working temporarily in the US do. Hunt for a Patel shop and stock up on parathas and Deep subzis. But even that starts tasting much the same after some time, and you cant have aloo parathas or you'll be farting in the most embarassing places. For anyone who plans to follow a similar trend to fill stomach - dont go for any other parathas except aloo. Methi is just too hard, and paneer leaves a strong oniony taste in the mouth that wont go even after you brush.
So this time I tried alternating the ready-to-eat food bought from the Indian store with rice, curd and pooliyadri paste.
Normally, I'd never eat rice and curd, its much too bland. I have curd with boondi, which I first tasted with Uttara the last time we were in New York, and loved it. After that I experimented with different boondis, chocolate and strawberries (ofcourse they weren't boondies - more like miniature kellogs chocos), and now I make it a point to carry a packet of khari (salted) boondi every time I travel.
Ok, so coming back to the pooliyadri paste, my roomie who is a south Indian introduced it to me. Its basically a tamarind pickle. more spicy then sour, and you can just mix a little quantity with your steaming hot rice. But it tends to be a bit dry, and so I mix the curd in it as well.
That way, it is just the right consistency without being too bland.
Anyways - there's always a silver lining. I hog on chocolates, pastries and cookies when I am here, and that kind of compensates for my calorie intake. Also surprisingly, I lose about 5kgs in six weeks, which needless to say, I gain back as soon as I am home...
So, as they say - you lose some, you win some. Hopefully, one day, i'll ein 'em all!

2 comments:

Priyanka said...

Hi there, Ive linked you to my blog. Let me know what u think of it!!

wanderlust said...

its cool! I like your pic of strawberry muffins, they look delicious!